Famous people from Lika
Interesting things - Famous people from Lika
There are a large number of people from Lič who have left a significant mark throughout history. Some of them are even world famous.
- Marko Mesić - a priest who organized the people of Lika in the fight against the Turks
- Ante Starčević - Croatian politician, publicist and writer called the Father of the Fatherland
- Šime Starčević - linguist and priest, writer of the first Croatian grammar in the Croatian language
- Nikola Tesla - world-renowned scientist and innovator and one of the most famous scientists in general. The man who lit up the world and laid the foundations of modern electronics - literally a genius from our rockery
- Andrija Štampar - doctor and scientist. He drafted the Constitution of the World Health Organization, was dean of the Faculty of Medicine in Zagreb, and the School of Public Health, Dr. Andrija Štampar, is named after him. He comes from Čanko in Lika!
- Joso (Joko) Crnjak - one of the biggest cattle breeders in the Lika area. He lived in Koriti (Čanak), and had over 500 sheep and a large number of other animals. He was known throughout Lika and helped everyone.
- Miroslav Kraljević - a world-renowned painter whose works adorn famous world museums, and his works are today among the most expensive in Croatia
- Mile Budak - Croatian politician, novelist, novelist. He is one of the most famous Croatian prose writers, and in his works he mostly writes about his face and harsh life.
- Prince Borna - a famous Croatian prince who is first mentioned in records as Prince Gacka
- Marijan Matijević - wrestler and benefactor, according to many he was the strongest man in the world. Known as the Hero from Lika, he won gold medals in wrestling all over the world, and the most famous is the medal for the best wrestler in the world from the Turkish emperor Hamid II.
- Josip Čorak - famous wrestler, winner of the silver medal from the Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, says that he is Joso from Ličko polje
- Fran Binički - Croatian priest, writer, philosopher and essayist born in Musaluk
- Slavko Degoricija - Croatian politician, professor of history and former president of the Ličan Association of Vila Velebita, Zagreb
- Slavko Štimac - famous and popular Croatian actor
- Rade Šerbedžija - a world-renowned actor
- Vlatko Pavletić - Croatian academic and interim president of the Republic of Croatia originally from Vukšić
- Ana Karić - famous Croatian actress born in Perušić
- Ivan Devčić - bishop and metropolitan of Rijeka
- Jure Turić - famous writer and pedagogue
- Ban Josip Jelačić - originally from Ličan, he always emphasized his Lika roots, and he called himself ban Jelačić from Bužim (Bužim - the place in Lika where his parents are from)
- Josipa Lisac - our famous singer from Mušaluk
- Krunoslav Prpić - legendary Croatian Radio journalist and correspondent who reported from the Lika battlefield. Born in Perušić.